Tuesday 5 January 2016

Loss,love,time passing - happy new year!

                                   

Home and hearth offer warmth ,tranquility and solace as I reflect on a year of loss and love and contemplate five days of a new year which provide for much of the same, it seems. 

Yesterday I attended a funeral, celebrating the life of a well loved and respected ex-colleague who died just before Christmas. James had lived a full,fulfilling life but died far too young from cancer. 


James was a countryside and bird loving Scot for whom a recording of the nightingale's song provided a beautiful soundtrack for our memories and reflections. 

Last year I spoke at three funerals, marking three vital lives and mourning their loss. I have got to the stage where these ceremonies are becoming too many, and outnumber any other sort of celebrations. 

Mind, we celebrated the New Year, and brought it in with a lovely meal with close family, music, and laughter. We reviewed last years resolutions. One of mine had been to start retirement planning - that had turned out to be something of a prediction not a resolution! Nonetheless we contemplated a 2016 with optimism and ambition- for adventures, good health, new endeavours. For Penny ( partner) her first adventure would be down under to New Zealand to visit her eldest son, on Sunday for a month.  

                    
                   


We visited dad in his new home on New Year's Day and planned his walks with Merry the dog over the coming days and weeks, keeping them both fit and enabling me to do some work including London trips.

                                  

Shockingly, on Saturday evening, at our house, dad had a stroke. I realised what was happening immediately and summoned an ambulance which came super speedily. I have nothing but praise for the paramedics, doctors,nurses, assistants and porters at the Royal Sussex (BSUH) A&E and in the stroke service. They were, and are being, marvellous. And already, lost capablities are beginning to return and assessment and therapy to bear fruit. But inevitably, this heralds a further loss for dad . Last year he lost his soul mate and wife of almost forty years; gave up his cottage and fully independent lifestyle come to live with, and then near us. Now, the future is uncertain again. How quickly things change and we lose faculties, loved ones , our independence , even purpose. 

I reflect with gratitude on how vital I am finding the caring and support from my brother and sister who will not leave me to cope alone . Already friends are offering practical and emotional support and all I have to do is to be ready to accept it! 

As if I needed reminding, all this serves to underline to me (us) how important it is to make the most of now; to value the love of children, partner, family and friends...... and to appreciate the unconditional love and good company of pets....well, the dog at least! Eartha Kitt(en) is rather too focussed on number one and her own needs ! 

                               



                            
And whilst valuing all those sentient beings , I won't neglect to  enjoy the world around me, and the wonderful sea and skyscapes I have spotted in between the downpours . 

        
                              

        
 

       








No comments:

Post a Comment