Sunday 6 March 2016

Listening, learning together

Before I had left Brighton station to travel to the exciting Queen Elizabeth Park for what to you may seem a dull sounding  "Leadership Forum" on Thursday , I encountered a powerful manifestation of learning in action. During my ten minute wait I enjoyed the playing from Jeremy on the station piano. I told him how much I valued  this musical start to my day . He gave me a powerful insight into the joy of learning a skill, and being creative . As an adult he has learnt to play and compose on the piano .


                                    

Jeremy sometimes plays ( for free ) at the Grand , and is self taught. He doesn't regard himself as a pianist, but he's certainly a piano player . And learning by doing is giving him pleasure and meaning. I do hope he does find someone who can transcribe the recent composition he played me . Meeting him was inspiring.  I hope he comes across someone who can assist his musical development. Sadly I can't help with music; I can only appreciate it.
  
I was visiting the Olympic park for the first time since 2012 , and it was a real treat to experience the "Orbit" and to see this regenerated part of London flourishing. 

                                        
                                            The Orbit in the morning 

                                        
                                            The Orbit at dusk 

                                          
                                              London in the gloaming

In this impressive setting, which stands testimony to effective vision , investment and delivery, senior public servants came to listen and share. Assisted by business, voluntary sector and academia we reflected on leading in uncertain ,volatile, connected times . The conclusions of the day were reinforcing of the essentials of leadership : clear purpose, well articulated vision , shared commitment , positive values and expectations leading to a principled culture , motivated empowered people and thus effective outcomes. Follow our speakers on Twitter and read them for more substance .

    Sacha Romanovitch , Chief Executive of Grant Thornton 


    Matthew Taylor, Chief Executive of the RSA 

   The space to listen,exchange,and think is something we all need . In my work now , I'm focussed on good leadership through mentoring, advising and assessing rather than heading up a big organisation, and I need this reflective learning opportunity quite as much as my colleagues. Our evening charity dinner allowed more networking,learning and catching up with friends and colleagues . 

                                        

When on Saturday night we listened to the Thames Chamber Choir in St Marks Church by Regents Park , I was  enchanted by the music (Thomas Tallis , Rachmaninov and more) with amazing sounds produced by human voices in harmony . I was also proud of Jordan now making his living from singing, conducting and teaching music . And my thoughts came back to Jeremy and whether he will benefit from the camaraderie of other musicians , and achieve his dreams . I hope so. 

                    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment