Friday 14 August 2015

Creativity

Creativity is a mindset, a behaviour more than a skill. This week I have concentrated on mothering, daughtering  and partnering and bringing creativity into all three. 

So whilst enjoying almost a week in the company of my eldest , watching cricket ( what a phenomenal test at Trent Bridge ),football, walking the dog and appreciating art, I decided to get baking. I was spurred on by over- ripe bananas and an excellent recipe from Dan Lepard's"Short and Sweet "; sorry Mary Berry! 



Butterscotch banana cake

This tasty creation pleased not just the son, but the father. My dad is now coming for regular restorative stays. Alone after caring for my stepmother through Alzheimers until her death on Valentine's Day this year , he needs opportunities for a good feed, relaxing dog walking and time with the family.  
A sunny Saturday walk along Hove seafront offered exercise, company and a creative photo opportunity!

Father and daughter - Hove seafront 


And on Sunday a tasty convivial family lunch gathering near Arundel and a lovely walk at Climping provided more joy for my dad . It provided a cheffing opportunity for my very creative brother ( more usually being creative with his paint brush and easel or in his motorbike workshop ) .

Piers Ottey - Battersea Power Station- 2014 

 It provided dad with the time for connecting with, and learning about, the lives of his grown up grandchildren.  We all  enjoyed a roast lunch in the open air .  The treat was completed with a walk created to include the sea and shore,  sun-dappled woods and golden harvested wheat fields - a Sussex best. 

Fields by Climping 


The return of my partner from her own family duties in Norfolk, threw up another opportunity for creativity. On Tuesday she was straight up to the allotment to bring home the produce . As well as red cabbage and Cavallo Nero , she brought back pounds of ripening plums . 
So I set to jam making and the results are very tasty indeed. 

Plum jam - BBC Good Food recipe (online) 

And to complete the homage to creativity , I planned a return visit to the Royal Academy Summer exhibition on Thursday evening, taking advantage of a Members BBQ invitation.
We were not disappointed to see once more the exhibits we had especially liked and to look afresh at some we had not dwelt on last time. 

Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 


Grayson Perry remains a delight .


And I still love the staircase . 

Today it was the turn of Alex at Dogs corner , Hove, to get creative. Faced with our little dog's overlong coat, he carefully and creatively cut and washed her coat , doing a lovely job. 
The result speak for itself - a beautiful and happy Merry!






Merry shows off her coat ! 

Amidst all this creativity, I'm planning for the future . I will not rush - there's another pot of jam on the stove! And was that the sun I glimpsed a bit earlier? Enjoy the week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment